Time for AKB48’s annual General Elections again!
This year, the event will be held in the 73,000-seater Nissan Stadium during the “AKB48 Super Festival”, where the 48 groups take turns to perform. As usual, the top 16 members ranked in this popularity poll will be able to participate in AKB48’s 32nd single, plus get tons of media coverage in magazines, on TV etc.
However, unlike previous years where each and everyone in the 48 groups are forced to take part in this election, only those members who register as a candidate will participate this year. The management has also revised the eligibility criteria so more people can stand as a candidate.
(1) The members in AKB48, SKE48, NMB48, and HKT48 (as of March 31)
(2) Former AKB48 members who transferred to the sister groups in overseas (Takajo Aki, Nakagawa Haruka, Suzuki Mariya, Miyazawa Sae)
(3) Graduated members who have been a member of AKB group for above 4 years
Eligible candidates will have 1 week from 31st March – April 7 to mull over/chicken out/take the challenge and submit their registrations.
After that, fans who wish to vote will have to purchase AKB48’s 31st single (currently untitled) which will go on sale on May 22. The CD comes with a voting slip and the time frame for voting will be during May 21 at 10:00 am ~ June 7 at 3:00 pm (JST). Here are some links to the cdjapan and hmv.
Some ongoing discussions in Japan media and amongst the fans:
– Will Maeda Atsuko return to take back her No.1 position?
– Which graduated members will come back to take part in this election?
– Will Queen Yuko/Itano Tomomi participate?
– Will Minegishi Minami participate?!
Stay tuned for more updates!