This is the best episode i’ve seen so far, full of fun and laughter!
In this episode of “Mecha-Mecha Iketeru!”, the members of AKB48 take academic tests in Japanese language, Maths, Social Studies, Science and English to determine the dumbest member. A total of 15 members including Kintaro(there to act as Acchan), Yamamoto Sayaka(NMB48), Sashihara Rino(HKT48),and even Minegishi Minami took part.
The scores for the individual tests were summed up and members were ranked to determine the baka center. Results as follows:
1. Iriyama Anna (422)
2. Oshima Yuko(412) <<She’s such an all-rounder!
3. Kintaro (390)
4. Kitahara Rie (368)
5. Yamamoto Sayaka (365)
6. Watanabe Mayu (360)
7. Itano Tomomi (341)
8. Shinoda Mariko (325)
9. Kashiwagi Yuki (323)
10. Sashihara Rino (293)
11. Minegishi Minami (288)
12. Shimazaki Haruka (278)
13. Kojima Haruna (261)
14. Takahashi Minami (259)
15. Kawaei Rina (239)
Summary of fun facts:
– Sasshi complained through her answers that commuting from Hakata to Tokyo is very troublesome. MC pointed out to her that it was her fault for getting exiled(referring to her scandal), and she apologised for it.
– Oshima Yuko wrote a very difficult Kanji for one of her answers when she could have written in Hiragana, and was singled out for trying to show off. MC deducted points from her because he wasn’t happy with it.
– Miichan tried to point out that Iriyama Anna was trying to show off as well, but was shot down by the MC, telling her to think about her position before accusing others.
– Kintaro won Yuko in the Maths segment and did a victorious “Flying Get” around her. She later learnt that Iriyama Anna was actually the overall winner with 98/100.
– Kojima Haruna showed her surprising maths solving skills with question “99+98+97+96+95+4+3+2+1=?”. She paired up the “99,1”, “98,2” etc to form the hundreds. But in a twist, she forgot about “95” which had no corresponding “5” to pair with and ended up with the answer of 400. I don’t know if she’s a true airhead or what, but she continued to ask where “5” disappeared to.
– Miichan was asked to draw an outline of a flattened-down pyramid, but MC was shocked to discover she had actually drawn the outline of a milk carton. She was thought to be a genius and gifted some airtime to do a victorious “Flying Get” dance, which she did with overflowing fervor. MCs asked if she’s repenting for her scandal.
– Iriyama Anna kept getting singled out for her correct answers. MC said her future will be better off without AKB.
– Paruru gave a dreary answer to a maths question which asked how many people will appear at a handshake session after 48mins. She wrote 48 people, which is like 1 pax/min. Her answer was characterized as salty, which she is well-known for. Yabe san, one of the MCs who worked with her on a previous episode and took a liking to her, kept praising her for being cute.
– Tomochin and Kintaro san had an ongoing battle throughout the episode. Whenever Kintaro impersonates Acchan, Tomochin put on a poker face to show her disinterest. Tomochin simply ignored Kintaro despite Kintaro’s pleas to be acknowledged. After the show, Tomochin was criticized for having an attitude problem, but most people do realize that she was just acting out a script for variety’s sake. She clarified on Twitter that she actually likes Kintaro.
– Sasshi gave an incredibly dumb name to a church in Spain – Howl’s Moving Castle(famous anime). MC thought she intentionally wrote it as joke, which she got angry at and denied. The other members tried to calm her down as stared defiantly at the MC. MC fired back with “Do you think you can still look down at people when you’ve already been transferred to HKT? Do you think the world has forgiven you?” Sasshi eventually backed down and said sorry.
– Yuko showed her incredible analytic skills when asked what “Al-hara” means. In recent years, there have been words like “sexual harassment and “power harassment” which she deduced is where “al-hara” came from. She guessed it to be “alcohol harassment”, which means forcing alcohol on people. Mayuyu, Paruru and Kawaei however, innocently linked it to Alpaca, which is similar in terms of pronunciation. Realizing that Alpacas are popular amongst AKB, the MC brought in a real Alpaca for the members to touch.
– Kintaro, who topped the members in English, did her victorious version of “Flying Get” around Yuko. Yuko had the chance to return the dance when she topped Kintaro in Japanese language and later in the overall scoring.
– When asked to translate “George’s bag is heavier than mine”, Kawaei wrote it is “this bag is mine”. Mayuyu wrote “George’s bag belong to everyone so it is mine”. Kojiharu wrote “there is a small *name of drug* in George’s bag”, which prompted MC to say that it is illegal to own drugs.
– When asked to translate “haste makes waste”, Takamina wrote “Facing the west, putting on makeup and eating pasta”. Kawaei wrote “Hastel and Wastel became good friends”, which was inspired from fable story Hansel and Gretel. The MCs were seen shaking their heads and asking what kinda place Kawaei grew up in.
– When asked to translate “Once upon a time, there was an old man and woman”, Paruru wrote “this old man is one step slower”. Yabe san who had been on her side all these while said he had reached his limit covering for her.
– When asked to translate “I wanted to see you”, Kojiharu wrote “You, tank you”. Kawaei simply converted japanese into romanji and wrote “Aitakaata she and he”. Her results were so bad she eventually won the baka center position. She had the honour of being put on a puppet stick with her new friends Hastel and Wastel to perform “Flying Get”.
Update: The 7 members with the lowest score have formed a unit and will be singing a song specially written for them by Akimoto Yasushi. The song titled “Haste to Waste”, will be featured as a coupling song in AKB48’s 31st single “Sayonara Crawl”. You can watch a live performance of this song here.