On May 21, the preliminary results of “The 6th AKB48 Senbatsu General Election” were revealed at AKB48 Theater in Akihabara, Tokyo.
For the election, a total of 296 girls from AKB48 and its sister groups stand as candidates, and the top 80 girls will be able to participate in AKB48’s 37th single.
On the day, the preliminary results showed HKT48 member Sashihara Rino placed first, followed by Watanabe Mayu, and Matsui Jurina.
In the past 5 years, Maeda Atsuko came first for the 1st and 3rd elections,Oshima Yuko placed first for the 2nd and 4th elections, and last year, Sashihara ranked number 1.
It will attract the fans’ attention if Sashihara would be able to win the election for the second consecutive time.
The voting for the election will end on June 6 at 3:00 pm, and the final results will be revealed at Ajinomoto Stadium in Tokyo on June 7.
Below is the top 16 members from the preliminary results.
1. Sashihara Rino – 37, 582 votes
2. Watanabe Mayu – 25,283 votes
3. Matsui Jurina – 23,012 votes
4. Kashiwagi Yuki – 17,266 votes
5. Shimazaki Haruka – 15,514 votes
6. Matsui Rena – 14,897 votes
7. Yamamoto Sayaka – 14,798 votes
8. Shibata Aya – 12,340 votes
9. Matsumura Kaori – 12,190 votes
10. Kodama Haruka – 9,879 votes
11. Moriyasu Madoka – 9,562 votes
12. Yokoyama Yui – 9,505 votes
13. Takahashi Minami – 9,005 votes
14. Futamura Haruka – 8,755 votes
15. Kitahara Rie – 8,584 votes
16. Miyazawa Sae – 8,273 votes
Even though i was hoping for Mayuyu to win this time, seems like overtaking Sasshi is as difficult as ever. It is certainly depressing to see her struggling so hard, but hopefully Mayuyu fans will unite in the remaining days and help Mayuyu achieve her dreams!